I’ve been writing since the age of five after a family friend gave me an old typewriter, when she saw I enjoyed creating works of mystery and suspense that only a five-year-old could. I completed my first novel and started shopping it at fourteen. Imagine having to do it without the internet, Google or even Writer’s Digest. I had a lot to learn and collected many rejections, although I received advice from an agent who said I had a rare ambition for one so young. With a tape recorder (ask your grandparents) I also recorded stories, one a parody of a Star Trek: TOS episode which my oldest brother and his friend thought was hilarious. I suppose that means I invented the audio book.
In later years, I figured out mystery wasn’t my thing. It was a story by Ray Bradbury that I enjoyed that turned me towards fantasy. After writing an unpublished science-fiction epic, I completed a young adult fantasy, published by a now defunct small press. I chalk it up to a learning experience and it developed a need for me to be more cautious with my works. I feel that as an author, we must continue to learn about our craft.
I stopped writing for a while, telling myself I’d quit until I realized you can’t quit being a writer. Your brain will always think like a writer. It was then I completed my epic fantasy Tinderbox, which is coming out Fall of 2022. Gunslinger Witch, the work I was originally shopping, was a NaNoWriMo work, and the idea came to me after researching women of color in the Old West and came upon Stagecoach Mary Fields. I knew I had to write about her! I’m still hoping it will see publication. It’s important.
On a more personal note, I’m the world’s biggest bibliophile. When I’m not writing, I indulge in my favorite pastimes, which include working in my garden, and video gaming. Come see me on Twitch as Runic Nightshade. I share my home with two cats, Cinnamon and Spice, who own the house, and my oldest brother, whom I often refer to online as Big Brother. I am the youngest and only girl in a family of three boys. I love discussing the business, so hit me up online anytime!
- I’ve been writing since I was five.
- Sought publication at fourteen.
- I’m the original Delaware Native.
- I have three brothers.
- I’m the baby… gotta love me!
- I’m a cat person.
- My fur babies are Cinnamon and Spice.
- I’m a Breast Cancer
- I’m an advocate for mammograms.
- I support Black Lives Matter.
- I’m a Libra.
- The owl is my spirit animal.
- I’m a night person.
- No coffee—no talkie.
- The world’s biggest chocoholic!
- The world’s biggest bibliophile!
- You better have a good damn reason for destroying a book!
- I have almost 300 books!
- I’m a gamer and streamer.
- Twitch is where I stream.
- My handle is Runic Nightshade.
- Favorite game: Chrono Trigger.
- I have a PS4 and gaming PC.
- I usually play RPGs, strategy and puzzle games.
- I’m a gardener.
- Do not waste food around me.
- I’m an introvert.
- I love Hayao Miyazaki!
- Favorite movie: Spirited Away
- Guilty pleasures: Chernobyl Diaries.
- Not a big TV watcher.
- I do like the 911’s.
- I’m an anime fan.
- But I love me some Harley Quinn!